Community Connection Expert
The Nelson Community Wellness Alliance is recruiting volunteers for the role of Community Connection Expert. The Community Connection Expert is a community volunteer who supports Nelson County residents impacted by COVID-19 or facing other barriers for services by connecting callers to specific resources including mental health providers, food banks, and childcare. After the initial referral, the Community Connection Expert will reconnect with callers via follow-up calls and check-ins to ensure that the caller was able to secure the help needed. Volunteers are trained to be active, non-judgmental listeners who allow the caller to express and sort through his or her thoughts about their resource needs. Although the volunteer may offer resource options and provide information during the call, the goal in most cases is to assist the caller in developing his or her plan for connecting to the referred resources.
Community Connection Volunteer Training:
The next Community Connection Expert training session will begin on Saturday, February 6th and continue for the 3 following Saturdays from 10am -12pm. The training will be held via zoom. You must be able to attend all four sessions.
Who is a Community Connection Expert?
Community Connection Experts are concerned and compassionate people who are involved in the Nelson Community. These volunteers want to support individuals and families who are in crisis situations and need help them to navigating toward Nelson County resources. They are our friends and neighbors who are driven to give back to our community in a meaningful way.
What does a Community Connection Expert do?
- Our volunteers will staff the Community Text Line at least 5 hours, once per month.
- Connect “callers” via text messaging to community resources by identifying their unique needs, developing and action plan, and providing follow-up supports to ensure they were able to access the services needed.
- Provide non-judgmental support and problem solving to help community members impacted by covid-19 or experiencing other barriers to service to connect to the help they need.
Why is Nelson Community Wellness Alliance adding a community resource text line?
- To enhance the Alliance’s ability to provide care, coordination, outreach, and education.
- To reduce incidents of service duplication while increasing access to behavioral health treatment and recovery supports for a population otherwise unable to access these services.
- Through partnership with community key community stakeholders, the Alliance will enhance our ability to provide a centralized, coordinated response to the mental health needs of Nelson County due to COVID-19 and address barriers related to systemic racism.
Community Connection Expert Eligibility:
- A high-school graduate, age 17-years or older
- Has knowledge of Nelson County
- Willing to complete a virtual 8-hour training
- Ability to pass a criminal and volunteer background check
- Ability to connect with callers via text message, phone, or using an app.